Hi guys, welcome to our “How to Clear cache files on Mac OS” guide, so, today we will tell few Mac tips about how to clear cache files from Mac. We already explained in one of our articles what cache is. Not everyone may know that there are several types of cache files on Mac OS:
- User cache files
- System cache files
- Browser cache files
In this article, we will tell you how to clear those types of cache files on your Mac.
How to Clear local cache files on Mac
Many Mac applications cache their data to the local disk to accelerate performance. In the case of cache data damage, your Mac can start running more slowly, applications might not run properly, and eventually (in very rare cases), it may become impossible to run applications. If at least one of these problems is familiar to you, you might want to clear local cache files onÂ Mac.
- You need to start by closing all the running applications. This can be done either manually by right-clicking on each open application in the Dock and quitting it, or by pressing Cmnd+Q, which is more practical and faster.
- Then, open Finder and use Shift+Cmnd+G to openÂ “Go to the folder” input field.
- To go to the directory, type in ~/Library/Caches and press “Enter” or “Go” button.
Once the catalog is opened, we can proceed directly to clearing the cache by simply selecting all the files with Cmnd+A and dragging and dropping them into Trash. Or you can individually select the needed folder, but it will take a lot of time, and, to be honest, is not going to be an easy solution to the problem.
Once you have moved the content to Trash, you will need to go through similar steps: open Finder again, press key combination Shift+Cmnd+G, go to the folder /Library/Caches, select its content and delete all the files and folders. Then restart your Mac. After that kind of cache cleanup, the system boots up a little longer than usual, but it’s nothing to worry about.
How to Clear Safari Cache Files on Mac
Cache in Safari is the space on the disk where your browsing history, files, pictures, etc. are stored. They are needed to help the web pages that contain the files to be opened (loaded) faster. But the cache size increases with time and occupies more space, which may slow down your Mac. To avoid encountering the above problems, you might want to clearÂ cache files on Mac by following the steps below:
- Click on Safari in the menu bar, then click Preferences -> Advanced and check the Show Develop box in the menu bar.
- Then you will see the Develop line in the top menu bar. Click on it and select Empty Caches in the drop-down menu.
- If you want to remove the cache, as well as the entire browsing history, go to the Safari drop-down menu and select Clear History.
For a more effective cleaning of the cache, we recommend that you manually delete the cache located on your Mac, as the browser can’t always clear it completely. You can do this using the method described above in How to Clear local cache files on Mac.
How to Clear Cache files on Mac using CleanMyMac X
If you do not have time to figure out how to clear cache on Mac, we recommend that you use CleanMyMac X (it’s free for Download). It will help you to safely delete all cache from Mac, as well as to clean up your Mac and maintain the order. CleanMyMac X offers two options for removing junk (including cleaning the cache) on your Mac. Smart Cleanup: before you use this feature, you can go to the application configuration to choose the modules that will participate in the smart clean-up. To start a scan, you need to:
1. On the left side of the CleanMyMac X window, click Smart Cleanup tab and then Scan round button.
The systems scanning will begin.
2. After CleanMyMac found all the junk files click the Clean button to clear the system after scanning.
3. You can get a pop-up that you should close Safari and Skype to avoid losing data and to complete the cleaning process properly. It’s possible to conveniently close the application immediately, without interrupting the process.
4. It starts deleting files, as well as clearing cache.
Once the process is completed, CleanMyMac X displays how much space is freed, how much space has been freed since you started using the app, and suggests that you share this information with your friends on Twitter or Facebook.
CleanMyMac X can provide high-quality cache clearing (clears correspondence history and browsing history) with the help of Privacy. It’s easy as pie.
- Click Privacy
- Select the browser and/or messenger where you want to clear history, specify what you want to be removed.
- Click Remove.
If you use CleanMyMac X, you can always be sure that removing all the cache files will help your Mac run faster. It also guarantees that no one will know what sites you have visited or read your correspondence in the messengers. Needless to say, CleanMyMac X will ensure a quick and easy cleaning of your Mac that will save you trouble and time. Now you know how to clear cache files on Mac OS!